Our highly experienced Bridge Referral team investigates and treats an extensive range of neurological conditions, both surgical and medical. These are diseases or disorders of the nervous system including the brain, spinal cord, nerves and muscles.
We strive to deliver the highest standards of care and compassion to our patients.
Our patients have an initial, thorough neurological examination, which often leads to further diagnostic investigations, including blood tests, CT, MRI of the head and/or spine and cerebrospinal fluid analysis (CSF tap).
These cases are seen in collaboration with our internal medicine services. Common conditions we would investigate and treat are:
- Brain diseases (tumours, strokes, cranial nerve disorders, meningitis) and investigation of seizures.
- Spinal disease (Intervertebral disc degeneration, Ischaemic myelopathy (aka: Fibrocartilaginous embolism, neoplasia)
- Middle/Inner ear disease
- Some musculoskeletal problems
- Congenital malformations such as syringohydromyelia in Cavalier King Charles spaniels, spinal malformation and hydrocephalus.
Neurosurgical cases are dealt with by our spinal surgeons, Alison Kennair, Jack Sillito and Emma Mace. All are very experienced in a wide-range of surgical interventions including:
- Hemilaminectomy (intervertebral disc disease)
- Ventral slots
- Dorsal laminectomies (e.g. lumbosacral disease)
- Fracture stabilisation
- Atlantoaxial subluxation
- Spinal fractures and luxations